Up to now, Audience Measurement techniques have been based on analysis of data coming from very few spots (few cameras on top of a Digital Signage monitor). The data coming from this spots have been analyzed locally, and has often just been used for driving the spot typology “launched” to the screens, e.g.: if a majority of viewers were female and middle-aged, then spots targeted to them would be shown.
Big Data analysis will help in two ways: understand customer behavior and increase validity of commercial advertising.
Obviously, there is a third advantage for the companies that sell audience measurement applications: a wider number of interconnected devices will mean more revenue (more units, but also long term contracts –some of the main difficulties they are facing now).
Cameras (for audience measurement) are not the only trick. 5 years ago, a Spanish Digital Software startup began using a Bluetooth device inside every player just to check the number of passers-by. Then they made their numbers: ”as nearly X% of population has a mobile phone (no tablets then, though), and Y% have their Bluetooth switched on, the result is the number of people that may have passed by our screen”. Of course, it sounds like OLD now. But there is always something to be invented, so innovate now!
- Have (or use) a widely used mobile app (such as Shopkick®, but can be Twitter® or Facebook®) and make it work with your Digital Signage (what I call #somedooh – for Social Media on Digital Out Of Home). Use Big Data techniques to extract value out of it.
- Crunch data coming from the mobile devices AND the interaction with the screens via NFC and/or QR codes
- Cross information with sales CRM from your shops and customers globally (and I mean THE WORLD). Again, Big Data works.
- Use extensively. Please observe Data Protection laws everywhere, but take advantage of the information you gather: gender, age group, etc., and of course:
- Think on what is your aim: increasing revenue? Customer satisfaction? Number of visits? Avoid showrooming?
- And then act! Please remember technology is not the only thing, and start thinking about retail marketing. Big Data crunching will do the rest